Total Visitors

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Clean Up

As I am currently living at my parents house during my study periods, I have decided my parents need a few good hours a week help around the garden surrounding their house. This week I decided to fix the giant mound of semi compost/ pile of grass clippings that has been building a small mountain the past few years in a shady corner of the back yard.

I looked into basic and cost effective ways to construct my own compost bin. I settled on the steel post and wire method. I pretty much designed this myself as my capentry skills are quite basic and most of my tools are up at the farm. Dad's tools consist of a hammer, a mallet, a very rusty saw and a jar of nails. Being a student, I can't really afford to by a new set of tools, so I figured I will make do with what I have.

My design consist of a double bin design with six steel posts with some sort of fencing wire surrounding it.
Nothing too technical, yet very affective. The fencing is attached with wire that I purchased at the 'Big Green Warehouse', not to name names. Once constructed a layering technique of corse sticks and a few dry vines of pumkin from my crop just gone, to allow airflow and air intake, then a layer of died leaves, then a layer of advanced composting grass clippings, then leaves, then pumkin vines, and so on and so on....

Photos to come of the build with some handy reflective notes for future composting

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a cheap and effective compost bin, and well done on making something with the limited materials you seemed to have. I have also started the construction of a compost bin, but have opted for an expensive one from bunnings because I am lazy. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah made one myself at my sisters house. yours looks like its got mine covered though. good stuff

    ReplyDelete