Total Visitors

Saturday 28 May 2011

Step 4 - Final Step

This is the final step which involved filling the units to start the composting breakdown process. I read alot of different ideas about composting and everyone has a different opinion on composting. Most of the people I spoke to, and from my own experience, I have found that the best composting method is decided by trial and error. There are great articles out there on the exact percentages of 'green' matter to 'brown' matter.
This is what I have learned in the past.
Try to keep the layers 50 - 50 , green to brown. Green waste is green in colour. Brown waste is brown or dry and also includes advanced compost and general soils. There are many horticulturalrists who will tell you to compost for specific plants to condition the soil to get peak flowering, fruiting or growth of certain plants. I have found that with  compost, any nutrients will help soil in any garden. Most people in Australia, and I am sure around the world, over fertilise and put way too much nutrients into there gardens and most of these products go to waste and down storm drains.
Start simple. Finish simple. Gardening should be peaceful, not stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment