Total Visitors

Friday 27 May 2011

Step 3

The third step to this compost unit build is to put the wire around the posts. Sounds simple. I found it abit tricky. Might have been the product but I found it was quite hard to get the wire to stretch straight. It took abit of elbow grease, but I did find out how to do balance it on the next post I needed to tie it to, a few quiet, colourful words were muttered.  I tried to tie it very securely to each post and also to peg the bottom on the wire in to ground to give it extra strength.
I had mentioned in a blog a few days ago that you will need some cable ties to attach the 'door' of the compost unit. At this point of the build, I had not yet worked out how I was going to attach it to be simply removed so the compost sould be used after the full breakdown had occured. Obivously, I need a latch or hook, but as I wanted to extend the life of the wire I would have needed some attachment which would not distort or mishape the wire. I went with cable ties for a few reasons; they are cheap to replace, they are strong, they can be removed easily with household sissors and they are easy to differentiate from wire as my parents are getting older and wont try to cut the wire holding thefencing to the posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment