Total Visitors

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Step 1

The prepartion of the actual site of the composting units. Previously the area had been used as a dumping pile of years of grass clippings so the ground was already grass free.
I dug about 50 mm deep and set aside the soil for layering in the units. I graded the area simply with the back of a large metal rake. I did add some sand to the graded section for drainage. I already had a bag of unwashed sand in the shed, so I didnt need to buy it. I didn't add alot, but enough to give the base abit more stability than just dirt.
I have read in my research of DIY composting, that couch grass can be a major problem, as the compost can grow into a large grassy mound. Couch runners are quite vigorous so I knew that it would have to be controlled. I did lengthen the cleared area of the bins as, if you can see, my parents lawns are couch grass, which is abit concerning.

So, I went and bought all the materials. I wanted this build to last as long as I need it to. So I went with abit more exspensive option, but in the long term it should be much cheaper. I should need to repair it as steel wire and pickets are not that easily damaged in the urban landscape.
6 x Star Pickets
6 x Picket Caps (SAFETY)
2 x 5m Steel Wire Fencing (not too large for mulch to fall out the side)
1 x 2m Fencing Tie Wire
2 x Hessian Bags
10 x Irrigation Pegs
10 x White Cable Ties
This list came to $100 approx.

No comments:

Post a Comment